4EK601 Operations Research
Aims of the course:
The aim of the course is to provide fundamentals of Operations Research in English with the special emphasis on models formulation and results interpretation. Students will learn the basic English terminology of Operations Research.
Learning outcomes and competences:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to solve basic decision making problems. Knowledge of English terminology will allow students to study English scientific literature on operations research and to participate in international study programs and projects.
- Introduction to operations research. Definition, disciplines and techniques of operarions research. Art of modeling. Models classification.
- Fundamentals of linear programming. Graphical solution of linear programming problems.
- Basic applications of linear programming. Interpretation of the optimal solution.
- Distribution linear programming problems.
- Network models. Basic applications – shortest path problem, minimal spanning tree, maximal flow problem.
- Project management. Deterministic and probabilistic projects. CPM and PERT.
- Deterministic inventory models.
- Probabilistic inventory models.
- Waiting line problems.
- Computer silmulation.